UF is proud to introduce NameCoach, an online tool that provides students, faculty, and staff the ability to record the pronunciation of their names and enter their pronouns.
Why we are adopting it
Learning how to say a student’s name and their pronouns helps build a welcoming learning environment. This tool enables the UF community to demonstrate our commitment to the UF core value of inclusion by being respectful and inclusive with every interaction in and outside of the classroom by
- Enabling instructors, student services, advisers, and peers to be more respectful and inclusive in every interaction
- Building a sense of belonging and community across the campus as part to promote student persistence and achievement
- Demonstrating a commitment to equity and inclusion from the classroom to commencement
- How to Use NameCoach
Watch the screencast below or review the step-by-step instructions that follow.
- How to Record your Name in Account
- Select Account in the left-hand navigation menu, then click NameCoach Recording Tool
- From there, click on Record Name next to your name
- Select the method of recording:
- If you select phone, you’ll be asked to provide a phone number and you will record via your phone.
- If you select web recorder, you’ll need to click the Record button and then allow your microphone access. A timer will count down, you will say your name, and then click the stop button to complete your recording.
- If you select Uploader, you will drag or browse for a file in .mp3 or .wav format.
- Click Submit and Finish
- Once you have recorded your name i, it will appear in all courses in which NameCoach is enabled. If another person’s recording is not clear, you may click Ask for a Re-Record under actions.
- How to Find a Name Pronunciation in Canvas
- From a course site, select NameCoach from the left-hand navigation menu.
- You will see a list of recordings for the course, and names that have not been recorded.
- Scroll to a name you wish to hear and click the play button.
- How to Use NameCoach as an Instructor
You will have to enable NameCoach in Canvas so that you and your students will have the option to record name pronunciations if desired. If you’d like to encourage students to do this, you may wish to send an announcement to let them know about this new feature in Canvas.
- Accessing NameCoach Recordings in a Course
- Once you have enabled NameCoach, in the left-hand navigation menu, under the links starting with Home, find the NameCoach link and click on it.
- The first time you will need to authorize NameCoach to access your Canvas account. An authorization panel is displayed. Click Authorize to proceed.
- You should see a roster display and can click the play button next to student names you would like to listen to.
- If another person’s recording is not clear, you may click Ask for a Re-Record under actions.
For questions on how to use or implement NameCoach contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative issues or questions (for example how to access or record) contact:
(352) 392-HELP (4357) Option 3