UF faculty and staff can send and receive faxes using their preferred email client (e.g. Outlook). This service is available to those using the University Exchange or Office 365 email system.
Sending Faxes via Email
You can send faxes via email to campus, local, and US long distance numbers (International numbers are not allowed). To send a fax via Email follow this steps:
Step 1: Open your email client (e.g. Outlook) and create a new email message.
Step 2: In the ‘To‘ field, enter the recipient’s fax number followed by '@fax.local'.
Fax numbers should be prepended with 9,
and either 7 digits for UF and Gainesville,
or 1+(area code)+7 digits for long distance. For example::
|Destination||Email ‘To’ Field|
|UF Campus and Gainesville (local)||
Long Distance (prepend 91)
Step 3: Add attachments to the message.
- Messages that do not have attachments will not be sent
- Supported document formats are pdf, html, jpg, gif, rtf, and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel.
- You can add multiple attachments and they will be printed in the order that they are attached.
- The body of the e-mail message will be ignored. If you would like a cover letter, add it document as the first attachment.
Step 4: Send the message.
Receiving Faxes via Email
In order to receive faxes in a UF Exchange/Office 365 Mailbox, your department needs to purchase a telephone number dedicated to eFax. Please note that you can migrate a fax number from an existing fax machine to the eFax service. Keep in mind that once a fax number is migrated to eFax, the physical fax machine will not longer be able to send or receive faxes.
Step 1: Create a MyIT service request (Communication & Collaboration > Telephony > eFAX)
Step 2: Indicate if this is a request for NEW fax number, or if you will be migrating an existing fax machine number.
Step 3: Indicate the destination Mailbox (UF Exchange\Office 365) where you would like faxes delivered.
- Note that a shared mailbox may need to be created by your departamental IT support staff. If they would like to know the fax number being assigned, and you are requesting a new fax number, please indicate this in the service request.
- Fax documents may alternatively be delivered directly to a network share location, depending on your departmental storage location.
Step 4: You may be contacted to confirm any necessary billing or mailbox destination information.
Step 5: Once the fax number has been provisioned, inbound faxes will appear as new email messages in the destination mailbox. If you need help accessing the mailbox, please contact your IT support staff.
- Users with access to the account will be able to forward these fax emails and their attachments to others.