This policy has been implemented because of the numerous business, legal and policy issues that arise in connection with the sale of advertising on university and unit web space.
Advertising consists of techniques and practices used to bring products, services, opinions, or causes to public notice for the purpose of persuading the public to respond in a certain way toward what is advertised. Advertising differs from the recognition of university supporters in that it may contain promotional or other information about a person or entity’s product, services or facilities that goes beyond mere acknowledgment of support to the University. This policy does not address treatment of university supporters, which is discussed in the University’s policy for Recognizing Supporters on the University & Unit Web Space.
This policy covers all web sites and web pages hosted by or on the behalf of the University of Florida and all of its constituent units.
Only the following units of the university may place advertising on their web pages:
- University Athletic Association, Inc.
- University of Florida Foundation, Inc.
- University of Florida Alumni Association, Inc.
- Business Services Division
- College of Journalism and Communications (WRUF and WUFT television and radio stations and Orange and Blue Magazine.)
- The President or designee(s) may approve additional units that may place advertising on the unit’s web pages
- The University’s Office of General Counsel or the UF Foundation’s legal staff will review all contracts for advertising
- Definitions Used in Policies and Standards
- Recognizing Corporate Supporters on the University and Unit Web Space Policy
Policy approved by the Office of the President on August 3, 1998, revised April 11, 2000, March 20, 2001.