*Please note: Individual colleges may have their own computing requirements. Please visit the College Specific Requirements page to see if your college has additional requirements.
The following is the official UF policy on the student computer requirement:
Access to and on-going use of a computer is required for all students. The University of Florida expects each student entering a UF Online program, to acquire computer hardware and software appropriate to his or her degree program. Competency in the basic use of a computer is required. Course work will require use of a computer and a broadband connection to the internet, academic advising and registration can be done by computer, official university correspondence is often sent via e-mail and other services are provided that require access through the Internet.
While the university offers limited access to computer software through its virtual computer lab and software licensing office, most students will be expected to purchase or lease a computer. The cost of meeting this requirement may be included in financial aid considerations.
While every students’ experience is unique, the following are general recommendations to consider when purchasing a computer for your time at UF.
- Processor: Current generation Intel Core Series (i3, i5, i7, i9) or AMD Ryzen equivalent
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 256GB hard drive
- Camera, microphone, and speakers
- Wireless internet (WiFi)
- Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer
- Please visit the College Specific Requirements page to see if your college has additional requirements.
- UF does not recommend students rely on tablet devices, mobile phones, or Chromebook devices as their primary computer.
- Consider purchasing an extended warranty and accidental damage protection.
- Some academic programs may require the use of Windows based applications. If purchasing an Apple computer, ensure you have at least 64GB of free space. More information can be found at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
Related UF Provided Services
- The university provides students access to Microsoft Office. More information can be found at https://it.ufl.edu/services/gatorcloud-microsoft-office-online
- Computers and peripherals can be purchased through the UF Bookstore or other retailers. More information can be found at https://www.bkstr.com/floridastore/Web
- The university provides students access to many software applications for free via UFApps. More information can be found at https://info.apps.ufl.edu
- The university has negotiated discounted rates for many software packages which can be purchased at https://software.ufl.edu or at the UF Computing Help Desk.
- Additional information about setting up your new computer and connecting to UF resources can be found at https://helpdesk.ufl.edu